Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Monday, July 06, 2009

The Harbinger of "Spring" - Prunus mume

I know, I know - its not really Spring, but when I see the first of the Prunus flowers, which I always have associated with Spring, then I get excited. To me, this plant is the Harbinger*** of Spring. I know we have not long passed the Winter Solstice (the shortest day or the longest night) which is technically the middle of the winter season.
I knew a friend in Canberra who grew the same plant as this - the Weeping Ornamental Almond - Prunus mume (a grafted standard, weeping form), and he always boasted that his courtyard experienced Spring earlier than anywhere else in Canberra. For this variety is indeed the earliest (that I know of) of the entire range of Prunus species to flower.
So, when I first moved to Robertson years ago, and saw this tree in flower in the first week of July, I knew exactly what it was. Recently my friends Pip and Dave moved into this house, so I poppped in yesterday to ask permission to take some photos of this tree - for it really is special.
In my garden I grow many forms of Prunus blossom trees, and some will not flower for several months - such is the range of flowering time for them.
But I really like this one, for it is the harbinger of spring - for me.

*** A harbinger is a sign of things to come. (Wikipedia)

1 comment:

mick said...

Beautiful flowers and tree - and I definitely agree that it "looks" like spring!