Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yet another Beard Orchid - Calochilus gracillimus

On Sunday, in the wet, I went with Alan Stephenson, Colin and Mischa and Kirsten (same crew as detailed on yesterday's post), to see an uncommon species of Beard Orchid which grows in the area of sandstone forest behind Nowra. I was having trouble with my new Flash, so my photos are very poor quality. I will only show one of mine.
Calochilus gracillimus - Slender Beard Orchid

I have used two images kindly sent to me by Alan Stephenson.
This one is appropriately named "Slender Beard Orchid" (Calochilus gracillimus). (Note the slender stem in the background of the shot).

Calochilus gracillimus  (Photo Alan Stephenson)
Even better, it is also known as the "Late Beard Orchid" for it is only just flowering now, in mid-January.

Calochilus gracillimus  (Photo Alan Stephenson)

Many thanks to Alan for showing us where these plants were to be found, and for the photos.

No comments: