Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life and Death - a solemn posting.

Yesterday I went to Canberra to help my father, my brothers and their wives celebrate my father's 97th birthday. We were all together, and it was a pleasant occasion.My daughter, Zoe had come along earlier to congratulate Dad, and to give him a hug. Here he is - blowing out the candles on the cake made for him by one of his grand-children.What nobody wishes to discuss on such occasions is the dark thought that every time we see Dad could be the last. So, lets all make the most of it, eh?

*****

To confirm that last point, I was rung this morning with the news that Roy Freere, a wonderful, gentle and knowledgeable Robertson resident, had died.

I like to think of Roy as generous person, someone who was particularly generous with his knowledge. Roy shared his knowledge with others very willingly, unlike some people who keep knowledge as their private source of power and influence. Roy willingly gave lectures and illustrated talks to local groups about Fungi, about which he was very knowledgeable. He also hosted the annual visits to the Robertson Rainforest by the members of the Sydney Fungal Studies Group. He was also an artist, and print-maker, whose works are available in local galleries.
This image of Roy was taken several years ago when we did a joint visit to a property at Canyonleigh on behalf of the National Parks Association, to check out the potential of a private property for possible inclusion in the near-by Bangadilly National Park.

I understand Roy's funeral will be held in Robertson next Tuesday.

I have already spoken with Joan, to wish her all the best. She has been an absolute model of the loving wife to Roy and a wonderfully caring nurse - over the recent months of his illness. But above all, I think of Joan as Roy's life partner. They were a beautifully matched couple.

Let us remember Roy Freere for the gentle and generous soul he was.
.
.

5 comments:

mick said...

Nice that you were able to celebrate another b'day with your father. Belated good wishes to him! It's my mum's b'day today - 93rd - and I can't go down with this heavy chest cold - the residue of the flu! Every year is definitely precious - to them and us!

Brigid said...

Good to see the photos of your father's happy birthday. Please convey my best wishes to him.

And please convey my sympathies to Joan. I remember the Christmas time we had dinner with Joan and Roy and their family at their home. Ah, mortality!

Blessings and bliss

DBS Young Photography said...

A happy belated birthday to your dad Denis.
Sad to hear about Roy.
Although I didnt know him that well, his generosity with knowledge was an inspiration.
We are only as good as the good we can give.

DBS Young Photography said...

A happy belated birthday to your dad Denis.
Sad to hear about Roy.
Although I didnt know him that well, his generosity with knowledge was an inspiration.
We are only as good as the good we can give.

Denis Wilson said...

Thanks David
That last sentence would make a fine epitaph for anyone.
Cheers
Denis