Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Monday, July 12, 2010

St Francis of the Bird Feeder? Not in Hi-Vis!

My brother, Brendan, will have to lose the "Hi-Vis" shirt if he hopes to charm the Lewin's Honeyeater to take food from his hands.
In fact, the bird was fairly relaxed in his presence, and moved in to feed on the Melon, while Brendan was only one and a half metres away.
Here you can see the Lewin assessing any risks before moving in..
And down it goes, with the brush-tongue lapping up the juice.
For most Honeyeaters, the juice is of more interest than the fruit tissue.
Several days ago I showed the Brush Wattlebird "lapping" the juice
from the outside of the Melon, rather than pecking at it,
as the Bowerbirds do.

4 comments:

mick said...

Great photos of a very nice close approach. If your brother has been wearing that shirt (or similar) over a number of days maybe the birds are used to it? When I was at my mother's place years ago the birds used to ignore me when I went outside with her blue hat covering my head but fly off when I went out without it.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Mick
Well, yes, and Brendan's behaviour was definitely "non-threatening".
Interesting that you should mention Blue Hats, as I habitually wear a blue terry-towelling Tennis Hat. But I am sure the Blue Bird (male Bowerbirds) hate me, because of that colour. They are fixated on Blue, and when I wear Blue, it seems to annoy them.
Cheers
Denis

Snail said...

He'll be sorry when the Lewin's honeyeaters get so used to him that they land on his hand every time he goes outside with food!

Denis Wilson said...

I think he would object if they landed on his head, as the Lorikeets at Currumbin do.
Cheers
Denis