Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Consider Nova Scotia

After our brief but spectacular thunderstorm of last Saturday, I wrote to my friend in Nova Scotia, Canada. I happened to mention the weather.



Leo, for such is my friend's name, informed me that at that far corner of the world, they had also had a huge storm, but it was a cold one. Wind, howling wind, without the familiar snow. Their storm produced power outages over 8 hours, because of trees falling across power lines.

Temperatures were pretty spectacular, with -13 degrees Celsius, but with a Wind Chill factor giving them an effective -30 degrees C. Leo, being a gardener, described it as "Rhododendron-killing weather". (His herbaceous Peonies are safely buried under snow, protected from these icy blasts.)



Nova Scotia has a relatively mild climate, for Canada, being part of the Maritime Regions on the far eastern tip of Canada. (Look for the mid-pink coloured peninsula, below the purple coloured Newfoundland. Halifax, the capital is marked.) Their climate is tempered by the Gulf Stream. Goodness knows what sorts of temperatures were being recorded in the really cold places, elsewhere in Canada.


I mention this, on my little blog about the Nature of Robertson, to put our weather into a wider context.

No comments: