Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Monday, March 18, 2013

Albino Magpie still going strong in Kangaloon

I wrote about this bird in January last year. Comments I received indicated that the bird was actually quite well known to the local residents of Kangaloon.

I have not seen it over the last year, until a week ago, I spotted a small white figure across the brown paddock where the grass has been sprayed prior to ploughing and planting - presumably in preparation for a new crop of Potatoes.

I saw it again today, as I drove down Kirkland Road, heading towards Tourist Road. It was on the far side fo the paddock.


Subsequently when I drove back up the road, the Albino Maggie had moved a lot closer.
Albino Magpie was now closer
A cropped image showing the bird quite clearly.
As albino birds are reputed to have a poor survival rate, I am publishing this to show this bird is still going strong.
It seems to always be on its own, despite the fact that the dairy and potato fields near by are well supplied with regular Magpies. Jill (one of the locals who commented last year) reported that this bird was very aggressive and in fact, seemed to chase regular Magpies away.

No comments: