Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Unusual Pinkish Katydid at Butler's Swamp

I was excited to find this pinkish Katydid, so I rang Dave Rentz, Australia's leading expert on Katydids (he literally "wrote the book" on Katydids).
Polichne parvicauda
Click on this photo to enlarge it
and see the fine details of the head, eye, etc.

I had emailed some of these photos to Dave, and he immediately recognised it as Polichne parvicauda. He said is very wide-spread and comes in a light brown colour morph, and a green one. This is a bit of a variant, but not madly unusual, apparently.

My dreams of "fame" evaporated.
Polichne parvicauda
An album of photos of this insect is available for public viewing at this site:

Anyway, I was happy to get some fairly clear photos of this insect.

No comments: