Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Monday, May 28, 2007

Two other observers in the bush, today.

Young Grey Kangaroo
Normally, in the wet forests of this area, the Macropods one sees or hears going "Thump, Thump", are Swamp Wallabies.

Today, however, I found two Grey Kangaroos (Macropus gigantea). I was driving very slowly into a grassy area (beside an old quarry), to look for Greenhoods (which I did not find). But I did surprise these very puzzled Grey Kangaroos.

Not many people drive in here, obviously, and so they allowed me to drive within about 80 metres. Once I had taken a few photos, they gently retreated - without the thump sounds, as the grass is so long there.







With grass in mouth
I love the way this little Roo was not troubled by my presence, and kept chewing on the long, rich grass, while I was photographing her (?).








Greenhood - opening
Previously I had found a rosette-type Greenhood just about to flower. I have no idea (yet) what species it will turn out to be.

I also found literally hundreds more Ground Orchid plants, just at the leaf stage. Anyway, it looks like this season, with the heavy rain in February, is allowing the Ground Orchids to form great growth, which hopefully will lead to a good flowering season over the next spring, and summer months.

Long-leafed Greenhood
Bunochilus longifolius (formerly Pterostylis longifolia) shows its distinctive long leaves. The leaves look almost grass-like, especially if the plant happens to have been knocked over, (which is quite common).
This one is still budding, while there were quite a number of the same species in flower down the coast last weekend. But that is not surprising, given the climate difference, from the extra altitude here.




Another surprise!
This Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus funereus) was so busy chewing on a trunk of a young tree, to get a fat borer grub, that it allowed me to pull up in the car, quite close to her.
They listen for the sound of the grub chewing inside the trunk, and then chew away the wood, until they get the grub out.

Unfortunately the forest was quite dark, and so the shot is not very successful. But the activity is so very typical of these Cockatoos, that I have been hoping to get such a shot for a long time. So, for better or worse, I publish this photo.
I have previously posted photos of the damage which they inflict upon Kangaroo Apples (Solanum aviculare).

No comments: