Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Monday, December 12, 2005

Race riots - the role of the Media?

I have been unable to avoid reports from Sydney radio of supposed "Race riots" in Sydney yesterday (they were in my ears this morning before I was truly conscious).
I do not condone whatever violence did take place yesterday (and I refuse to publish links to any media sites on this subject). However, I object even more to Talk-Back Radio, especially the ABC's own flagship station, 702 in Sydney, allowing idiot talk-back callers to promote their prejudices on the open air waves.


This foggy day photo is symbolic of the Media's foggy mind, today! Dark looming ominous shadows - seem more dangerous than they really are.

We all know there are stupid people out there, but should the ABC give them the use of the broadcast media to spread their ignorant views? (Blogs are more appropriate for voicing one's personal opinion.)

I am going to boycott the ABC's news broadcasts (and chat shows) for another week. It isn't much, but it is the only way I can punish them for being so un-ethical and un-professional. I have only just restored my "patronage" after my previous personal boycott last week, regarding the Media's feeding-frenzy over the execution in Singapore. I do so hope they took notice!

If you think the Media's job is to "report" such events, just remember that they spent all last week "reporting" that people were trying (via SMS text messages) to promote a brawl on the weekend. Surprise, Surprise. It happened.


At what point does the Media cease to be an observer, and a commentator, and become a participant?

Lets have more clarity of vision, please.

Call me a naive

and sentimental fool,

if you will,

but I feel

one has to try something.

Denis - Robertson's own Fool on the Hill

"Well on his way his head in a cloud,

The man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud

But nobody ever hears him,

Or the sound he appears to make, ....."

(Lyrics by Paul McCartney. Performed by "The Beatles")

1 comment:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Anni.
Well, clearly I needed to get something out of my system, yesterday. I hope you do express your own thoughts on this matter. I shall have a look at your blog later. Denis