Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Raspberry delights

Raspberries, ripe Raspberries. Yum! (Rubus idaeus) An impromptu dessert was enjoyed today by myself and Deb. Good idea, Deb!

I had not expected to find a "feed" of Raspberries, because of the voracious appetites of the Satin Bowerbirds. (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus) (Click here for image of female bird.) I guess it proves that even in Robertson, if you grow enough Raspberry plants, you will get the occasional feed for yourself. Anyway, we ate a wine glass full (each) of fresh berries (so fresh there was a tiny little Looper Caterpillar in Deb's glass. How "organic" is that?).

We ate the berries with some of my partner Judy's spectacular Ice Cream which she made for my Birthday a few weeks back. A layered Ice Cream with a coconut & chocolate centre, surrounded by coffee ice cream, all covered with Strawberry Ice Cream. Add fresh berries to that and you have a feast!

Down in that section of my wilderness garden there is a large Thornless Blackberry which has set a great crop of fruit. The fruit are still green, of course. Before they ripen I will need to net them, if I am to get any for myself.

More berries to come. Yum! The tastes of summer.

While down in that wild part of the garden, I showed Deb the collapsing flower of the Dragon Lily. (Dracunculus vulgaris) At this stage the long protuberance (spadix) had collapsed completely, but the long purple spathe was still in good condition, but flopped over like a long tongue.


Deb wanted to re-name it the "slutty plant". Seems appropriate.
She was also impressed with this plant's spotted stems, like it was wearing green and white leopard skin tights!

No comments: