Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Nature of Clear Air

Just a brief blog to show you how clear the air in Canberra can be.

You will recall that I photographed the Baroomba Rocks, from near Tidbinbilla, a few days ago. I said they were visible from Canberra, on a good day. (well, I think I said that, but I certainly should have done so, if I did not.)



Behold, Thursday was one of those days, with stunningly clear air. With the help of a long lens, you can see what I mean.

The lake in the foreground is the ornamental lake, called Lake Burley Griffin, in the middle of Canberra (well, with bush around it, but it does divide the city). Anyway, in the far distance is the Tidbinbilla Range, which was nearly all burnt out 3 years ago. But against that severe background, may be seen the outcrop of rocks known as Baroomba Rocks. Without getting my maps out, I confidently affirm that these rocks are at least 40 kms away.



Here is a second, slightly more artistic shot, but I wanted the other one too, to give you the wider view.



It is on such days that one can rejoice in Canberra as the Bush Capital. This photo was taken from just below Black Mountain, and across the lake from the Governor-General's Residence.

No comments: