Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Windy Orchid

I do not recommend photographing Orchids on really windy days. You can see the white "fingers" of the little target Orchid, and even, if you stare, the purple lip of the flower. The wind was driving me nuts.Eventually I got a more-or-less clear photo of that plant. This purple-lipped Orchid is driving me nuts too - trying to identify it.
Tony Bishop's book refers to white forms of Caladenia testacea as occurring locally (Penrose and Fitzroy Falls). David Jones has an illustration of a much more yellowish flower, but refers to some variation from "white to greenish-yellow". How is a boy to know what he is looking at?
Having decided to stick my neck out on that plant, what about this? The flower is a bit more open (less hooded) than the previous plant. So, it shows the nice line of calli, all nicely purple. The impression is of a much lighter flower than the one above, but is it just a difference of angle? Or just some variation between individuals? I am holding to Stegostyla testacea as the most likely identification. (Previously Caladenia testacea). These plants were surrounded by the pink Finger Orchids I showed several days ago. The location is in tall Eucalypt forest, in Kangaloon, on dry grey sandy loam, (a thin layer of soil) over a sandstone base.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a pretty little orchid, Denis. I have not seen this one. I also share your frustration with the wind. I am going orchid hunting today, so hope the wind is not half as bad as yesterday.

Cheers
Gaye