Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Big brown buzzing beetles

A month ago I wrote of small brown beetles swarming in the early evening sky.
*****

Tonight, as the sun set, big brown buzzing beetles were swarming around the remains of my flowering plants. I have a particularly tall Lilium with pink trumpet flowers, with a nice perfume. The beetles were going nuts, around it.
*****

I must be failing as a Naturalist. I did not go out and catch any of these big brown buzzing beetles. Frankly, they were a bit scary, with their loud buzzing noises. They were flying very actively, and were not offering themselves to be caught easily by hand.
*****

From what I could see and hear, they did not appear to be the bronze-sheened Christmas Beetles (Anoplognathus sp.) with which I am familiar from Canberra. Hardly surprising as those Beetles live exclusively on Eucalypt leaves. There are few Eucalypts around Missingham Parade. There are a few mature Brown Barrels (Eucalyptus fastigata) growing near the corner of Belmore Falls Rd and South Street. Apart from that, the local area is virtually free of Eucalypts ( a few have been planted by some landholders, but they are still quite small)
*****

Many animals, (including Beetles) are highly specific in their feeding habits. So maybe the local Beetles eat Sassafras or Blackwood leaves. Makes sense to me. Unfortunately, the study of beetles is something which I have not had a chance to get serious about. (So many beetles, so little time!)

No comments: